Basic SR&ED Refund Calculator
Last Update: March 2019.
This calculator is meant to provide a quick, unofficial look at how much your business could potentially recover using the SR&ED program. We built it to give your company an easy way to get an idea of what SR&ED could offer so you can gauge if pursuing a claim is in your best interest.
This is by no means a complete calculation as it is generated without insight into your current tax situation. There are a few assumptions that are made & as well as some limitations:
- Your fiscal year end is December 31st.
- Specified employees are not treated separately from unspecified employees.
- No distinction is made between materials consumed and materials transformed.
- In years where provincial tax credit rates change, the percentage has been pro-rated.
- Capital Expenditures are excluded, even in provinces that still offer this incentive.
- Additional top-ups dependent on specific contracts with research institutions have been excluded.
- Expenditure limits and business size are not accounted for.
Despite these limitations, we hope you will find this helpful when determining whether it’s worth pursuing this tax credit.
Advanced SR&ED Refund Calculator
This calculator is designed for consultants and advanced users who need to provide more accurate estimates but don’t want to input all the variables into their accounting software. This calculator:
- Incorporates Contract Payments and IRAP into calculations,
- Allows users to waive the ORDTC if desired (Ontario only),
- Calculates the SR&ED tax credits for non-CCPCs,
- Calculates the refundable and non-refundable portions of the SR&ED tax credits for non-CCPCs.