Fall 2017 SR&ED events and deadlines.
The fall season is now underway and children return to school and adults return to work. Now is the time to look at upcoming events hosted by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and looming, major accounting deadlines that might be relevant to your business. Be sure to have a look at these events and deadlines for any that appeal or apply to you.
SR&ED Events Hosted by the CRA
The CRA is hosting an upcoming free online webinar on the SR&ED program, offering a general overview. This webinar lasts for 90 minutes and will explain the SR&ED eligibility criteria, what expenditures qualify, and how to file a claim. The webinar lasts for 90 minutes.1
The webinar will be offered in English on the following dates and times (click on the following links to register):
- October 18, 2017, 1:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time.
- November 15, 2017, 1:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
- December 6, 2017, 1:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
The webinar will also be offered in French on the following date and time:
The 90-minute eligibility of work in SR&ED projects containing software development webinar is available for playback, along with a transcript. However, there is no indication of when a new live webinar on the topic will be held.
The CRA also offers in-person seminars on a variety of topics to help businesses gain a deeper understanding of specific topics that relate to SR&ED.2 The CRA will be in Mississauga offering a seminar on SR&ED financing issues on the following dates:
- October 26, 2017.
- November 21, 2017.
- January 30, 2018.
- March 20, 2018.
- May 29, 2018.
The same seminar is offered in Ottawa on October 17, 2017.
For more information, contact the CRA.
SR&ED Filing Deadlines
Remember that you are required to submit your claim for research and development tax credits 12 months after the filing due date.3 The corporate tax filing due date is six months after your Fiscal Year End (FYE). If your FYE is June 2016, your 18-month deadline is December 2017.
Are you attending or running an SR&ED event? Have you been to one of the CRA’s previous events?
Share your insights below or add to the conversation on our LinkedIn group, Facebook page or Twitter.
For more information about SR&ED, sign-up for our Comprehensive Guide to SR&ED today!
- Government of Canada. Canada Revenue Agency. (September 21, 2017.) SR&ED Webinars. Retrieved October 12, 2017 from: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/scientific-research-experimental-development-tax-incentive-program/information-seminars-webinars/webinars.html. ↩
- Government of Canada. Canada Revenue Agency. (August 26, 2017.) SR&ED in-person information seminars. Retrieved October 12, 2017 from: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/scientific-research-experimental-development-tax-incentive-program/information-seminars-webinars/person-information-seminars.html. ↩
- Government of Canada. Canada Revenue Agency. (October 3, 2017.) Summary of provincial and territorial research & development (R&D) tax credits. Retrieved October 12, 2017 from: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/scientific-research-experimental-development-tax-incentive-program/summary-provincial-territorial-research-development-tax-credits-december-31-2016.html. ↩