The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) offers a fillable and saveable T661 Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) Expenditures Claim form as a PDF.
What’s Different About This T661 Form?
You can easily complete the Interactive T661 PDF form after downloading and saving the ‘PDF fillable/saveable’ form from the CRA’s website.1 While information does not auto-populate in the financial section of the form (as it will in some corporate tax preparation software packages) there are still some nice features in the form:
- You can save the form and share it with other people in your firm or your accountant.
- If you make a mistake, such as improperly inputting a business number, a pop-up window will appear and remind you of how the line is to be filled out properly.
- There is a button on each page of the form that allows you to clear data — but, be careful, as the entire form will be cleared.
- There is a help button that takes you to a Government of Canada website for assistance in filling in PDF forms.
Don’t Forget to Fill In and Submit Your Schedule 31
When it comes time to send in your T661, though, be sure to remember to fill out and submit a T2SCH31 Investment Tax Credit – Corporations form on time.2 If you don’t send in this form (known colloquially as a Schedule 31) the CRA will automatically decline your SR&ED tax credit on the basis of having “incomplete” information.
The Tax Court of Canada 3 ruled in 2015 that a Schedule 31 is a prescribed form that must be submitted along with the T661 in Easy Way Cattle Oilers Ltd. v. The Queen before its deadline.4 In this particular case, the Appellant had filed both a T661 form and a Schedule 31, but submitted the Schedule 31 a couple of weeks after its deadline had passed, which had been the same deadline as the T661. The court ruled against the Appellant, who was seeking to get an SR&ED tax credit on the basis of having filed the T661 on time properly.
In conclusion, the fillable T661 form is a great tool to use, but be sure you submit it along with your Schedule 31 properly and on time.
Have you used the fillable T661 form to file your SR&ED claim?
- Government of Canada. (November 10, 2015.) T661 Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) Expenditures Claim. (Accessed: August 18, 2017.) Retrieved from: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/t661-scientific-research-experimental-development-expenditures-claim.html. ↩
- Government of Canada. (January 1, 2017.) T2SCH31 Investment Tax Credit – Corporations (2014 and later taxation years). (Accessed: August 18, 2017.) Retrieved from: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/t2sch31-investment-tax-credit-corporations-2014-later-taxation-years.html. ↩
- Tax Court of Canada. (September 9, 2017.) Tax Court of Canada. (Accessed: August 18, 2017.) Retrieved from: http://cas-ncr-nter03.cas-satj.gc.ca/portal/page/portal/tcc-cci_Eng/Index. ↩
- Tax Court of Canada. (August 21, 2015.) Tax Court of Canada Judgments: Easy Way Cattle Oilers Ltd. v. The Queen. (Accessed: August 18, 2017.) Retrieved from: http://decision.tcc-cci.gc.ca/tcc-cci/decisions/en/item/111531/index.do?r=AAAAAQALc2NoZWR1bGUgMzEB. ↩